Monday, May 25, 2009

Almost halfway through

We're already almost halfway through 2009. It's the end of May. I haven't quite figured out why it seems like the years fly by faster and faster the older I get. I was discussing Christmas the other day, and the kids were looking at me as though I'd grown a 3rd head... don't they realize that it's only 7 months away? Good grief!

It doesn't help that we've started a new venture this year. We've been clearing out people's scrap metal and junk items & cars and recycling them. Since HP cut back every one's paychecks this year, we've been working on finding ways to replace the difference. So we published www.scrapnjunk.com and made business cards, and we've been getting calls. It's really cool! We've also managed to re-home a LOT of items to people who need it.

I've also joined the Face Book & Twitter "revolution" - It's fun. I've managed to reconnect with several friends & relatives that I hadn't seen in years, and that's definitely great. I've also made some new friends this year, and that's even more outstanding.

We switched out the curriculum we were using "mid-stream" this year, so the school year has been totally wrecked... but I'm enjoying the Switched on Schoolhouse, now. I don't think it was quite right for us when we tried it several years ago, but it's definitely perfect for us now, and I'm thrilled to have gone back to it. Of course, it's been upgraded several times since the last time we tried it, but the 2009 version is perfectly on target for our needs.

We're working on gearing up for the summer after getting our Spring birthdays out of the way (2 in April, 1 in May). The summer brings lots of get-togethers for the kids with their Bible Study groups from church, and time to spend with their friends who follow the public school calendars. There are several fun movies coming out that we all want to see, so I'll be hunting for ways to earn free movie passes again this year. I only have 7 left from last summer - which adds up to one family movie.

It's time for me to go ahead and hit "publish" - we're heading out to pick up a couple of round bales of hay for the zoo that we have going on here. Have I mentioned that we're up to 1 horse, 1 longhorn, 3 goats, 12 sheep, 2 Chihuahua's, and a smorgasbord of kitty cats? There's never a dull moment around here (although I wouldn't mind some on occasion ).

1 comment:

  1. Hello, my name is Kristi Gesink and I work for the Homeschooling company Alpha Omega Publications. I noticed after reading through your blog that you use our Switched on Schoolhouse curriculum to teach your children. We want to say a big thank you for mentioning our company on your blog and we would appreciate it very much if you would please post a link from your blog to our site at
    http://www.aophomeschooling.com
    that way readers and friends just need to click on the link to find out about your great curriculum!!

    If you have any questions please email me at kgesink@aop.com!

    Thanks and may God bless your day!
    Kristi Gesink
    AOP

    ReplyDelete