Friday, February 18, 2011

It's almost over...

and no... this time I'm not talking about the month. It's the vacation.

I head back home tomorrow evening. It's been an absolutely luxurious week... no teens/tweens around. There was peace and quiet the entire week... minimal laundry, cooked good meals all week for appreciative adults, only checked in minimally each day with the kids. I have absolutely enjoyed myself.

I have found out that I definitely prefer my own cooking. We ate out a couple of times, and it was a supreme disappointment every time. We even specifically hunted down a Chinese restaurant today, and it was definitely not an enjoyable experience. We'd have had happier tummies if I'd cooked... I hate spending money out on a meal and regretting having eaten the food

There's a lovely gym that we've had access to. I just wish that I'd know there was a hot tub, and I'd  have brought my swim suit... that would have been nice to relax in during the evening. It's okay, though - I was able to get some knitting done...

I also learned that I definitely need to take my own pillow with me if I'm going somewhere... I have been missing my pillow all week. We picked up some squishier ones at Target, but it's still not the same as my super-squishy pillow at home... I will definitely sleep VERY well when I make it home tomorrow night.

Trae received the notification this week from Job Corps - he leaves this coming Tuesday. I'm excited about this opportunity for him. I only hope that he's as excited about it as I am. It's so incredible... I only wish that I'd known about it sooner. He could have already been through the program, had a job, and been living on his on by this time... Jessica should be getting her call within a few weeks, too. I know she's excited about it. Trae's going in for the HVAC program, while Jessica is going in for the medical billing and coding. That's something that she'll definitely be good at. She has such an amazing memory, and a brain for numbers... she'll totally breeze right through everything. She's already discussing the fact that if she doesn't get to take college classes while in the program, she's planning on taking them at night after she gets a job. She doesn't want to just "settle" in a single career if she can take it further. She's a smart cookie!

She'll continue working on her writing, too. I know that she absolutely wants to make a career with it at some point, and I absolutely encourage her to do so... but she also has to have a "real" job to take care of the bills while she's working on getting her name out there into the world.

The other three kids will certainly miss Trae and Jessica, although they won't readily admit it. Zach and Britt are currently planning what they want done with their rooms once their siblings are gone. I don't think they've really digested the idea that their chores are about to multiply exponentially with the loss of their counterparts. It also means that the tea shoppe will be losing Trae... I've volunteered Vicki/Zachary to work up there - they're both fully capable of raking, feeding animals, etc, and are both perfectly willing to earn money... so it's a happy thing for both of them. They won't be able to move furniture the way Trae does, but they'll get the standard chores done...

Trae's working on a list of things he needs me to pick up before he leaves. He needs a clear backpack - that's a must have, so I ordered two different ones from amazon.com, and I'll let him pick one and give the other to Jessica. They should get delivered tomorrow - thank goodness for the free two-day shipping from amazon. It's an absolute lifesaver sometimes.

Cool! I just checked the tracking number from amazon, and it shows they were delivered this afternoon. I told Trae to go ahead and open the box. You just have to love it- I ordered them yesterday afternoon, and they were delivered at 12:05 today. Absolutely fabulous!

Well, I'm going to wind down for the evening... have a glass of wine and relax before bedtime. Hope everyone is well... g'nite!

No comments:

Post a Comment